- - - - -

Dragonfly TV Dyslexia Documentary

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ~ Dragonfly ~

~ Dragonfly ~
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:29 AM

Dragonfly Film and Television Ltd. are making a television documentary about dyslexia and are looking for young people in the UK who have struggled with dyslexia to tell their stories.

If dyslexia seriously affects you or someone you know, if you are currently learning to deal with it or if you have had severe problems in the past which you have managed to overcome we would love to talk to you.

Please send us a short email telling us a bit about yourself and how dyslexia has affected you as well as your contact details. If you are under 18 please speak to your parents before contacting us. Or if you like you can PM me.

Email:mysecretpast(at)dragonfly.tv - all emails will be treated confidentially.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Dragonfly TV

#2 Rod Duncan

Rod Duncan

Long Standing Forum Member

• Forum Developers
  • 1,865 posts
  • Interests:Writing, Movies, Politics (with a small 'p'), Baha'i, Blogging, Poetry. People. The workings of the mind. Dyslexia (of course)

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:49 AM

If you are making a documentary that helps people to understand dyslexia - the positives and negatives - and which is not going to be exploitative of the participants - then more power to your elbow!

If I wasn't quite so far beyond the age of 18... !!

My slight fear is that young people are more impacted by the negative aspects of dyslexia and thus your documentary may end up ignoring the positives. The dyslexics who come to have a more positive attitude to the way their brains work are often older - people who have learned to compensate for the many problems ant have started to make the most of the advantages.

All the best.

Rod

Rod's Gas-Lit Empire can be explored at : www.gaslitempire.co.uk

#3 ~ Dragonfly ~

~ Dragonfly ~
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:23 PM

Hi Rod,

Thanks for your reply. The documentary we are making is going to be lead by a celebrity who suffered with un-diagnosed dyslexia for many years. They would like to find out how so many young people have coped really well with Dyslexia, even if it has been very difficult for them.

As much as we want to explore some of the problems faced by those who have Dyslexia the documentary is still about how people have coped and succeeded. We want to find out how people and dealing with it and part of that does come from young people who may be struggling with Dyslexia, but are getting the help they need.

I have Dyslexia myself, so I understand the issues related to representing the Dyslexia and people who might like to take part.here at Dragonfly we take our subjects very seriously and want to represent them in the best possible way.

Hope that helps answer your questions.

David

#4 TC's Mum

TC's Mum

Forum Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:19 PM

Good for you David. The Kara Tointon one - Don't Call Me Stupid - helped me a lot when my 8 year old daughter was found to be dyslexic. It also helped to educate those without dyslexia which was a good thing.

I know your company has made some good programmes in the past & I look forward to watching it in the future.

KC

#5 ~ Dragonfly ~

~ Dragonfly ~
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:39 PM

Thanks very much for the kind words. We are really hoping that this documentary can help people know they're not alone and things do get better.

#6 Rod Duncan

Rod Duncan

Long Standing Forum Member

• Forum Developers
  • 1,865 posts
  • Interests:Writing, Movies, Politics (with a small 'p'), Baha'i, Blogging, Poetry. People. The workings of the mind. Dyslexia (of course)

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:18 PM

I'm delighted you will be focussing on the positives.

Do let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

All the best.

Rod

Rod's Gas-Lit Empire can be explored at : www.gaslitempire.co.uk

#7 ~ lankyT ~

~ lankyT ~
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:07 PM

I am looking forward to watching it :)

#8 ~ sarah ~

~ sarah ~
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:41 PM

Hi
I am a dyslexia assessor and also teach dyslexics. If you are interested in feedback from me and my experiences in this area, please let me know.
Thanks
Sarah :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users