- - - - -

Advice

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ~ Kimberly ~

~ Kimberly ~
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:42 PM

I do not know how this will work, I never post to anything.....But I have a question, and want to know what people with Dyslexia think. I am wanting to get my MBA in Marketing and Advertisement, I am currently working for a non profit and it is hard not being able to spell things or write currectly.....Is getting a MBA worth anything if I can not spell? Is it worth the struggle? Will I be able to find a job after? will office work always be so stressful?

:ph34r: -Kimberly-

#2 Allways Wondering

Allways Wondering

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:01 AM

Sorry I am not sure what you mean by MBA where I come from some Universtys use it instead of BA for 4year Undergraduate degree course But it is mainly used to describe Masters degrees/Postgrad degrees.

I know how you feel for the past few years I have been wondering if I should do my Masters or a post grad. Espesaly when I am finding it difficult to get employed at the moment. As I think it might give me an extra edge. As affter I graduated before it was the easyer to get a job than it is know because my quilification was new.

My problem is similar but not the same as yours because the thing that holds me back for applying is I can't make up my mind which course to do. As I wonder how my Dyslexia will effect certain carrers. Doing my masters would narrow my carrer field and I worrie I pick the wroung 1.

I did visit a Universty about a Post grad course before I graduated with my BSc (Hons) but wasn't impresed with their Dyslexia support and I felt so stuiped when they said that Dyslexic Students only need 10-15% extra time and not the recomed 25% which I had been useing all off at the Universty that I studied my undergraduate degree at & they had said due to the nature of my Dyselxia that I could access more time if I felt like I need it.

1) What I would suggest you do is that you ask your self the following questions:

Is this what I really want to do?

Is there nothing else that I am interstead in?

I cant tell you how many people I have met in further education who drop out or transefer to other course because they weren't interstead in the subject or more interstead in another subject.

2) You also need to talk to the Universty or instatution about what kind of support they provied for Dyslexic Students.

When it comes to studing and work there are equipment and soft ware packages that can help like text to Speach & Speach to text i.e. speech reconision software. Some Dyslexics find text to speach usefull & speech reconsion software a pain. Others like my self find we get a better result with the speach too text.

It deepeds on the nature of your dysexia. Text to speach didn't like my spell and didn't speck clearly enough for me to idetfy the correct word. I have never used a spell checker that hasn't said "No Suggestions" in more frequent occassions than I would like.

A quailfication is only worth the struggle if you Enjoy the Subject.

No one can tell you wither you will be able to get a Job or wither Office Jobs will always be stressfull for you.

It will depends on a number of factors such as what the Tasks are and the nature of your Dyslexia.

Personaly I would not go for Job which was 100% office based as I would see it as too big a challange not be form tourcher, I would go for job which is about 50% or less office based. I know that I am mainly a kentic learner (i.e.learn by doing) and that I would feel better in a job with some practical elements.

Good Luck

#3 ~ Kimberly ~

~ Kimberly ~
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:55 PM

Thanks for responding,

I like the question you asked me, I honestly feel like I am in the same boat you are with what I really want to do....
I feel like I am so stubborn sometimes that I just want to prove everyone wrong and do an office based job...

I will def. think about what you said, thanks again for responding.

Good luck with your future education!!!

Kimberly

Sorry I am not sure what you mean by MBA where I come from some Universtys use it instead of BA for 4year Undergraduate degree course But it is mainly used to describe Masters degrees/Postgrad degrees.

I know how you feel for the past few years I have been wondering if I should do my Masters or a post grad. Espesaly when I am finding it difficult to get employed at the moment. As I think it might give me an extra edge. As affter I graduated before it was the easyer to get a job than it is know because my quilification was new.

My problem is similar but not the same as yours because the thing that holds me back for applying is I can't make up my mind which course to do. As I wonder how my Dyslexia will effect certain carrers. Doing my masters would narrow my carrer field and I worrie I pick the wroung 1.

I did visit a Universty about a Post grad course before I graduated with my BSc (Hons) but wasn't impresed with their Dyslexia support and I felt so stuiped when they said that Dyslexic Students only need 10-15% extra time and not the recomed 25% which I had been useing all off at the Universty that I studied my undergraduate degree at & they had said due to the nature of my Dyselxia that I could access more time if I felt like I need it.

1) What I would suggest you do is that you ask your self the following questions:

Is this what I really want to do?

Is there nothing else that I am interstead in?

I cant tell you how many people I have met in further education who drop out or transefer to other course because they weren't interstead in the subject or more interstead in another subject.

2) You also need to talk to the Universty or instatution about what kind of support they provied for Dyslexic Students.

When it comes to studing and work there are equipment and soft ware packages that can help like text to Speach & Speach to text i.e. speech reconision software. Some Dyslexics find text to speach usefull & speech reconsion software a pain. Others like my self find we get a better result with the speach too text.

It deepeds on the nature of your dysexia. Text to speach didn't like my spell and didn't speck clearly enough for me to idetfy the correct word. I have never used a spell checker that hasn't said "No Suggestions" in more frequent occassions than I would like.

A quailfication is only worth the struggle if you Enjoy the Subject.

No one can tell you wither you will be able to get a Job or wither Office Jobs will always be stressfull for you.

It will depends on a number of factors such as what the Tasks are and the nature of your Dyslexia.

Personaly I would not go for Job which was 100% office based as I would see it as too big a challange not be form tourcher, I would go for job which is about 50% or less office based. I know that I am mainly a kentic learner (i.e.learn by doing) and that I would feel better in a job with some practical elements.

Good Luck

#4 BubblewrapPrincess

BubblewrapPrincess

Long Standing Forum Member

• Moderators(moderator)
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:31 PM

Hi,

I'm trying to get into marketing at the moment, so maybe I can help a bit?

A specific marketing or adversing qualification is very helpful if marketing or advertising is defiantly what you want to do career wise, companies do look for relevant qualifications as well as practical experience when selecting candidates. Ideally they like both.

I'd really think about the type of job you want to do, as marketing often requires a LOT of writing, for websites, blogs, social networking sites, copy for products, press releases, and marketing reports. It's not all the job is, but it's about having good communication skills and using them creativity, so writing will be an area you will need to be comfortable with.

I would not worry too much about spelling if this is the sort of career you want, but it's an area you might have to focus on improving.

#5 Cariad

Cariad

• Moderators(moderator)
  • 2,851 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:33 PM

An MBA is a Masters in Business Administration. You will need to get your degree first before moving on to the MBA.
It should certainly help you get a job. Its a high level of qualification and should be an advantage in the search for work.
My son is dyslexic and is currently doing his MBA. When you go to Uni to do the course you should apply for the Disabled Students Allowance (DA) which is a grant to help fund equipment and support for your dyslexia.

#6 Allways Wondering

Allways Wondering

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

Glad you got something from my last post.

What you call stubborn I would call determination. It is Good to have it, it is what helps people like us achive. I belive it is a common traite in people with Dyslexia.

I would agree that it has a downside where you could push your self in to somthing you don't want just to prove people wroung.

What you need to do Kimberly is tell your self that your opion on your life is the most important opinion.

I have went out to do things to prove people wroung in the past and as a result I failed the my 1st atempt of a degree programme. I wanted to proved to people that I wasn't stupied. I got my degree on my 2nd atmeptin a subject that was similar but diffrent and suited me that bit better as I have genue passion for the Subject, and has a bonus of more carrer choices than the 1st. :)

Seems that we both have our choices to make regarding Post grad Quilifications. If I don't make mine soon it will be back in the bottle for another year but I would rather it be at the back of my mind as possiblity that I could do anytime in the future than do the wroung degree programme as I don't pertiucalear want to do a Phd I don't think I would be able to afourd it.

Thanks

Good Luck I hope you disison making gose well.

#3 Kimberly

Posted Today, 01:55 PM

Thanks for responding,

I like the question you asked me, I honestly feel like I am in the same boat you are with what I really want to do....
I feel like I am so stubborn sometimes that I just want to prove everyone wrong and do an office based job...

Kimberly

#7 ~ Kimberly ~

~ Kimberly ~
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:15 PM

I currently have a under grad in Health Promotion and Education, but love the marketing world. I will def. look into the Disabled Students Allowance for financial help :)

I wish you and your son the best and I am happy to hear he is going for an MBA! :)

Thanks,
Kimberly

An MBA is a Masters in Business Administration. You will need to get your degree first before moving on to the MBA.
It should certainly help you get a job. Its a high level of qualification and should be an advantage in the search for work.
My son is dyslexic and is currently doing his MBA. When you go to Uni to do the course you should apply for the Disabled Students Allowance (DA) which is a grant to help fund equipment and support for your dyslexia.

#8 ~ Kimberly ~

~ Kimberly ~
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:24 PM

Thank you for your insight it will help a lot as I look into marketing and advertising :)

good luck on your schooling and I hope you get into the program you are wanting :)

Thanks,
Kimberly

Hi,

I'm trying to get into marketing at the moment, so maybe I can help a bit?

A specific marketing or adversing qualification is very helpful if marketing or advertising is defiantly what you want to do career wise, companies do look for relevant qualifications as well as practical experience when selecting candidates. Ideally they like both.

I'd really think about the type of job you want to do, as marketing often requires a LOT of writing, for websites, blogs, social networking sites, copy for products, press releases, and marketing reports. It's not all the job is, but it's about having good communication skills and using them creativity, so writing will be an area you will need to be comfortable with.

I would not worry too much about spelling if this is the sort of career you want, but it's an area you might have to focus on improving.

#9 ~ Kimberly ~

~ Kimberly ~
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:42 PM

Thank you!

I love this forum it is very helpful! Thanks for your insight and help, it means a lot.

Thanks for the luck I will always need it. I wish you luck as well with schooling and that you will find the degree that will benefit you the most!

Thanks,
Kimberly

Glad you got something from my last post.

What you call stubborn I would call determination. It is Good to have it, it is what helps people like us achive. I belive it is a common traite in people with Dyslexia.

I would agree that it has a downside where you could push your self in to somthing you don't want just to prove people wroung.

What you need to do Kimberly is tell your self that your opion on your life is the most important opinion.

I have went out to do things to prove people wroung in the past and as a result I failed the my 1st atempt of a degree programme. I wanted to proved to people that I wasn't stupied. I got my degree on my 2nd atmeptin a subject that was similar but diffrent and suited me that bit better as I have genue passion for the Subject, and has a bonus of more carrer choices than the 1st. :)

Seems that we both have our choices to make regarding Post grad Quilifications. If I don't make mine soon it will be back in the bottle for another year but I would rather it be at the back of my mind as possiblity that I could do anytime in the future than do the wroung degree programme as I don't pertiucalear want to do a Phd I don't think I would be able to afourd it.

Thanks

Good Luck I hope you disison making gose well.

#3 Kimberly

Posted Today, 01:55 PM

Thanks for responding,

Kimberly

#10 BubblewrapPrincess

BubblewrapPrincess

• Moderators(moderator)
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:49 PM

Thank you for your insight it will help a lot as I look into marketing and advertising :)

good luck on your schooling and I hope you get into the program you are wanting :)

Thanks,
Kimberly

Thanks Kimberly,

If you already have a degree something you could consider doing is the CIM, which is an introduction to marketing. It's an A Level equivalent and introduces you to all the theory and how to write marketing reports. However, it can be better to do this if your degree is in a "related" subject like Business or English. Because it might be harder for employers to see how you could apply your degree to marketing roles, a more advanced qualification like the one you are considering would certainly be very helpful.

I considered doing an MA in marketing specifically for publishing, because that's where I am aiming to end up. I found a fantastic course with time working in the offices of big name publishers, but unfortunately it was going to be too expensive. I'm doing the CIM at the moment as it's something I've found out is well recognised with employers, and I'm doing voluntary work so I have practical experience. I may do the course I wanted in the future, if I still feel I need to. I'm pretty optimistic at the moment.

Good luck,

Bubblewrap

#11 ~ Kimberly ~

~ Kimberly ~
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:51 PM

Perfect!

I will look into both, its funny how many ins and outs there are for schooling. Its great to have some insite into what is really needed to get A GOOD JOB. :)

Thanks,
Kimberly

Thanks Kimberly,

If you already have a degree something you could consider doing is the CIM, which is an introduction to marketing. It's an A Level equivalent and introduces you to all the theory and how to write marketing reports. However, it can be better to do this if your degree is in a "related" subject like Business or English. Because it might be harder for employers to see how you could apply your degree to marketing roles, a more advanced qualification like the one you are considering would certainly be very helpful.

I considered doing an MA in marketing specifically for publishing, because that's where I am aiming to end up. I found a fantastic course with time working in the offices of big name publishers, but unfortunately it was going to be too expensive. I'm doing the CIM at the moment as it's something I've found out is well recognised with employers, and I'm doing voluntary work so I have practical experience. I may do the course I wanted in the future, if I still feel I need to. I'm pretty optimistic at the moment.

Good luck,

Bubblewrap

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users