- - - - -

primary school dyslexia

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ~ Linzi ~

~ Linzi ~
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:36 PM

Hi just found your site, wondered if anyone out there can help me?
My 6 year old has just been diagnosed with dyslexia, she was screened today. Other members of our family are affected but they were diagnosed at uni.

Im meeting with school asap to see how they can assist my daughter.

How do i go about finding more info to help her?
is there any one out there who can chat???

many thanks

#2 geodob

geodob

Long Standing Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:41 AM

Hi Linzi,
Dyslexia can result from a range of different underlying difficulties?
So that the next step, is to start looking deeper to understand what is actually the issue?
Without knowing what the underlying issue is, it becomes a trial and error process, to find out what will assist her?
So that when you have the meeting with the school, you can discuss what will specifically help your daughter.

#3 West Kip

West Kip

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

Hi
I have a 6yr old daughter who has dyslexia, we had to have her assessed privately and live in Scotland. The system and support appear to vary greatly depending on where you live. You said that your daughter has been "screened", who did this and is there any written report detailing her specific strengths and weaknesses? My understanding of a screening test is that it is very broad and not detailed and individualised, but this may not be the case with your daughter as different people interpret/use terms differently. Dyslexia is a very broad condition, and you could have six people in a room with a diagnosis of dyslexia, and they would all have a different pattern of strengths and weaknesses so that is why detailed individualised assessment is so important to inform how to help. Also our experience with school is that what they say will happen is not the case in reality. We are constantly trying to make sure that she gets the help and accomodation she needs. Try and keep a written record of your meetings with school it really helps when following things up and to remind you of what has been said. The class teacher also makes a big difference. Our daughter had a great teacher last year, but this year could not have been a greater contrast and they seem to have no insight or interest in her difficulties at all. We are often told that she is still very young, but all you read and research says the earlier the input the better. Good luck.

#4 Cariad

Cariad

Long Standing Forum Member

• Moderators(moderator)
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:51 AM

The good thing is your daughter has been identified very young. Geodob has given good info and you might also want to contact the British Dyslexia Association and they can point you int he direction of their nearest support group to you and offer you more info.

When you meet the school make sure the support they give your daughter is precise and regular. Your daughter should really be supported by someone trained or well experienced in supporting pupils with dyslexia. Dont be fobbed off by the school using funding as an excuse not to provide support for your daughter. The school have a legal duty to mee t your daughters needs.
Let us know how you get on with the school.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users