• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ChloeGrace

ChloeGrace

Forum Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:I'm studying Occupational Therapy at Bournemouth Uni :)

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:46 PM

Hey,I'm Chloe :)

I'm studying Occupational therapy at bournemouth Uni.
I was diagnosed with dyslexia about a year ago, but I got 10 GCSE and 3 A- Levels without any support.

Although being dyslexic is difficult I donít let it get in my way :)I'm proud to be dyslexic as It's part of who I am!

Hope everyone is doing well :)

#2 Cariad

Cariad

Long Standing Forum Member

• Moderators(moderator)
  • 2,720 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:59 PM

Hi Chloe.
Welcome to the forum

Posted Image

#3 ~ Surreysue ~

~ Surreysue ~
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:19 AM

Hey,I'm Chloe :)

I'm studying Occupational therapy at bournemouth Uni.
I was diagnosed with dyslexia about a year ago, but I got 10 GCSE and 3 A- Levels without any support.

Although being dyslexic is difficult I donít let it get in my way :)I'm proud to be dyslexic as It's part of who I am!

Hope everyone is doing well :)

#4 Nora

Nora

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:00 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum. My son is in Yr 7 so it's great to hear from older students who are doing so well.

Nora X

#5 ChloeGrace

ChloeGrace

Forum Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:07 PM

Hope your son is doing well, I would just encourage him to stay positive about being dylexic and make sure he knows that it wont stop him from doing whatever he wants in life :)

Chloe x

#6 ~ SCJ90 ~

~ SCJ90 ~
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:11 PM

Hi Chloe,
Well done for getting so far without any support and congratulation on getting into uni. I was diagnoised with dyslexia 5 motnhs ago typically right of the last year of my degree so similar to you i managed to do fine without any support. However the last few months I have had some help with my assignments and been given equiptment and I definetly think it has helped improved my grades. Just have the long wait until July when i find out my results.
It's good to see your so positive about dyslexia and proud to be dyslexic.

Sam X

#7 stu91art

stu91art

Forum Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Love travelling and playing sport.
    Love watersports and summer time!
    Always up for a laugh and love to party etc : )

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:28 PM

Hey Chloe,
I'm a student at Northumbria Uni studying journalism! I have only found out last week that I am dyslexic! It's really weird I love creative writing and have always done well in that field, however I have really struggled with this journalism crap. It was weird for me to find out that I have this because I did find school tough as I hate reading (especially out loud!) and my spelling has always been poor but yea I had no help or supported. Just had to keep reading things over and over. I'm not sure what to do now.. was always called lazy etc and now im quite annoyed. I'll be starting 3rd year in Sep.. one more year of hell haha.. anyway I hope to find some good advise and talk to people in similar situations because I haven't told anyone that I am dyslexic!

Stuart X
Stuart

#8 ChloeGrace

ChloeGrace

Forum Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:14 PM

Thanks guys for commenting back!
Sam, yeh the equiptment has been really useful too! I think the best thing is that my lectures know that I'm dyslexic so I don't get marked down for spelling etc. Good luck with getting your results :D sure you did fab!

Well done Stuart for doing so well without any help (: I'm going into my 3rd year Sep too, haha and yeh one more year of hell!
Are you getting any equiptment now? Why did you feel quite annoyed?

xx

#9 BubblewrapPrincess

BubblewrapPrincess

Long Standing Forum Member

• Moderators(moderator)
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:41 PM

Hey Chloe,
I'm a student at Northumbria Uni studying journalism! I have only found out last week that I am dyslexic! It's really weird I love creative writing and have always done well in that field, however I have really struggled with this journalism crap. It was weird for me to find out that I have this because I did find school tough as I hate reading (especially out loud!) and my spelling has always been poor but yea I had no help or supported. Just had to keep reading things over and over. I'm not sure what to do now.. was always called lazy etc and now im quite annoyed. I'll be starting 3rd year in Sep.. one more year of hell haha.. anyway I hope to find some good advise and talk to people in similar situations because I haven't told anyone that I am dyslexic!

Stuart X

I studied English and Creative Writing, which was a bit scary at first, but I got though it ok. If you have done this well without support imagine what you can done once it is in place?

I'm actually finishing off the beta version of a website for dyslexics who are interested reading and writing. The idea is it has reviews for different types of books and inspiring stories/information about people who have succeeded in literary fields, like journalism. It's an ambitious project so it's taken me a little while, but I've more free time to dedicate to it now. Hopefully this will help people enjoy reading and writing more, and help people who want to study these sort of courses.

If you ever wanted to write anything for it let me know. I am trying to build up some success stories from ordinary people with dyslexia, to go with all the ones about famous people, because I think people might relate to those better. If you were interested in writing something I think you story would really inspire people.

I found third year wasn't as bad as everyone made out, I really enjoyed it in the end. I miss uni now and then, and while it was tough some days, I have loads of great memories.

#10 MindsEye

MindsEye

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:50 AM

Welcome to the Forums CloeGrace.

Really glad you feel good about your dyslexia, after all you should be we are a great people!

I'm also a student at University doing a double major in Psychology and Sociology. My dyslexia was found when I was very young and couldn't speak until too old. To be honest it wasn't until I was half way to being 20 where I discovered myself. And throughout the hard times, I still enjoy who I am today.

The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths.

These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen. - Elizabeth Kubler Ross

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users