Hello - confused mum here

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ~ mrsmoo ~

~ mrsmoo ~
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:54 PM

Evening everyone,

Just a bit of background - I have as 13yr old son with dyslexia and autism and a 7 year old daughter who has just gone thro assessment for autism, have just been told she does not fit criteria for a dx of autism and am left with many unanswered questions!

Given a family link to dyslexia (her brother, her dad and her cousin on her dad's side) I am considering whether some of her issues may be due to dyslexia, although she is performing age appropriate at school.

Will post further elsewhere on forum as am aware this bit is really just for intro!

Any advice where best to post? Am really just wanting to get peoples initial thoughts on some of her issues really.....

Thanks for reading!

#2 Nora

Nora

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:31 AM

Hi, There seems to be a lot of crossover between dyslexia, ADHD, ADD and autism. Some private clinics seem to connect all the conditions when they offer treatments (I'm thinking Davies and Tinsley House). We took my son for an Asperger's Assessment but, like your daughter, he did not fit the criteria. That being said, I seriously think that he does have many autistic traits but these do not amount to serious difficulties - more like quirks, eccentricities and oddities. He can also seem quite ADHD/ADD at times but not when he is focused on something he likes. Although your daughter might be performing at an age appropriate level at school, the thing to consider is whether or not she is underachieving compared to her potential. My son is within average ranges at school but is still underachieving academically by a long way. I would think that there would also be other signs though like poor writing, spelling, learning tables etc etc. These might become more and more evident as your daughter gets older. I would say that my son's writing has obvious dyslexic spelling issues if you look at it now. Have you looked at some checklists? Did you get an IQ test as part of the assessment that would give you an idea of her potential?

Good luck, Nora X

#3 Lillysmom

Lillysmom

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:30 AM

In the US the criteria for autism is changing. My son who was diagnosed in jr. high will no longer fit the criteria so I am wondering what it is he does have. I am taking him in this week for further evaluation. His sister was previously also diagnosed with autism, but just got a new diagnosis of dyslexia and ADHD (Primarily Inattentive type) I am taking her in this summer to be evaluated for a possible language disorder too. Neither child has the rigidity of behavior and need for sameness that is more often seen in autism. Actually, they only have the language criteria and some mild sensory issues.

When a child has more than one thing going on the diagnosis can be harder to sort out. If your child did not meet the criteria for autism, then you might want to check into ADHD. There is no hyperactivity with the primarily inattentive (PI) type so it can get missed. My psychologist said girls especially tend to be behaved and look like they are paying attention, but they are not. My daughter could look right at the teacher and start daydreaming. If the child also has dyslexia or a language disorder then the symptoms can almost look like autism, especially if they are also shy and the doctor does not look deep enough.

Like autism, ADHD also can include sensory problems, but not as severe. There can also be social skill problems but again usually not to the same degree as people with autism. The social awkwardness also seems to have a different root cause. ADHD kids can be awkward because they are hyper and impulsive, or because they are not attentive to what people are saying. People with autism have trouble reading body language and predicting, understanding and reading other peoples emotions, perhaps due to a difficulty reading facial expressions. Both can have processing problems which can interfere scholastically and socially.

All of this might be difficult to diagnosis at such a young age. One reason my daughter was misdiagnosed is she could not explain to anyone what was going on. Also, many doctors were somewhat free with the autism diagnosis at that time.

#4 ~ c3ellen ~

~ c3ellen ~
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:01 PM

The interesting thing about dyslexia, and I am sure it must apply to all 'learning disablities' is the fact that no two people are alike. As far as I can remember from our assesment is that there are 3 categories if you will and 3 levels in each. My son, myself and my brother all have been diagnosed with dyslexia ( although the signs run rampid throughout my family). All 3 of us show different degrees. The most important thing I remember reading is that a great deal of dyslexics, go undiagnoised because they don't do pourly enough in school. This was my case. Although the feeling like you are stupid or having a mental blockage is still there, no one else sees it.
My suggestion would be the same as some others, do some research on the internet. I could add the Canadian Dyslexic Association to the list for reading. There are so many great ideas on how to help your child with learning, that can be applied to anyone.

#5 Cariad

Cariad

Long Standing Forum Member

• Moderators(moderator)
  • 2,716 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:52 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum.
It's interesting what you say about your daughter. I have three children one with ASD and one with dyslexia. My daughter had a dx for dyslexia when she was 8 but didn't need additional support until she got to university. She had an assessment at Uni and the assessor re confirmed her dyslexia but also added that she had ASD traits but not enough to give a dx of ASD. . When assessing ASD the person needs to meet a certain number of criteria to achieve a dx.

You clearly know the things to look out for with ASD because of your son and I assume you'e recognised similarities with your daughter. It might be that your daughter has some traits but not enough for an official dx.

As far as dyslexia is concerned you daughter may have good coping strategies that means she isn't experiencing difficulties at the moment. I would still keep an eye on her because she might experience difficulties i the future when the level and demand of work might exceed her level of coping strategies.

#6 DyslexicMum

DyslexicMum

Forum Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:02 PM

Hi,

there was an interesting article in the guardian not so long ago (some time in the middle of the summer holidays if I remember correctly - aha, found it! saturday 14 July ) about how more boys with Autism get diagnosed then girls, who because they are wired to be more empathetic don't show such 'typical' autistic traits as boys so are less likely to be considered Autistic. The more boys that get diagnosed and research that gets done on those boys, the more the status quo swings towards a male-type-behavioural diagnosis and the more girls get left out as not fitting the accepted symptoms and so on and so on... So many girls may well not be getting diagnoses because they are simply not behaving like boys!

I am paraphrasing (badly) and hope this makes sense, if not let me know and I will try to write it out more clearly when I am less rushed.

I have two children with dyslexia, my son age 10 has all sorts of other things going on but we can't figure out what, he's just different, that's all, don't think he's autistic, may be dyspraxic, think he'll never quite figure life out but will bumble along never knowing whether it's morning or afternoon, and as long as he's happy who cares? Daughter age 9 more severely dyslexic but copes by being terrifyingly organised, did we really produce them both? They are as different as it's possible to be but sit under the same Dyslexic umbrella. Diagnoses buy them both space, but don't really tell us what to do, we have to figure that out separately for each of them.

Try telling that to the school SENCO who is (of course) an 'expert' having been on a course.... (sorry had a frustrating school pick-up AGAIN!)

Good Luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users