• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BubblewrapPrincess

BubblewrapPrincess

Long Standing Forum Member

• Moderators(moderator)
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:40 PM

I was a simple task, I was in a restaurant in Japan and I had to match two letters in hiragana on a metal rectangle to the two large hiragana letters on the locker with my shoes in. My boyfriend and friend did this easily. I stepped up to give this a try and found a problem, the letters were all identical in the area where I remembered my locker being. This was rather confusing, so I put the card in a locker that seemed about the right height based on my recollections. It didn't open, so I pulled it out and put it back in again. It still did not open. I put the rectangle in the locker next to it...this also did not open. My friend and boyfriend were now staring at me, along with one of the waiting staff, as I started to scowl, and tried to put it in yet another locker. Eventually, my friend took pity on me and opened the correct locker, clearly unable to understand what the problem I was having was. She pointed out the letters were clearly different, in that the main part of each letter was a different way around, or the flicked out bit that was on the other side...only when she pointed this out could I actually see this.

I was pretty disappointed. I'd always hoped that if I tried to learn to write or read in an eastern script I'd find it easier, my friend claimed she knew some dyslexics who found hiragana came quickly to them while she struggled with it. I'm not sure how, I mean look at the alphabet, many of the letters look so alike: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiragana

How about other people, how have you found learning using different alphabets? Anyone tried? I thought maybe Kanji might be easier for me as the letters don't look so similar, however my friend said Kanji was found to be difficult in general as it relied so much on context, not just of the symbols around it, but the context you were writing it in, so hirigana was considered easier...sequencing isn't my strong point either, so maybe I should just accept all written languages will be hard for me, just for different reasons. <_< I just can't help but wonder what the simplest written language for me to learn would be.

#2 Rod Duncan

Rod Duncan

Long Standing Forum Member

• Forum Developers
  • 1,878 posts
  • Interests:Writing, Movies, Politics (with a small 'p'), Baha'i, Blogging, Poetry. People. The workings of the mind. Dyslexia (of course)

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:02 PM

I found that with Mandarin, I could recognise the characters if I'd learned how to write them. There is a specific stroke order with the writing of each character. I guess this might be kinesthetic memory?

Rod

Rod's Gas-Lit Empire can be explored at : www.gaslitempire.co.uk

#3 roger merriman

roger merriman

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:33 PM

Oddly the task you had to do. Provided I had one to compare wouldn't cause me a problem.

Though a 48 character alphabet with my memory! I get the days of the week out of sequence...
was once wodger.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users