• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BubblewrapPrincess

BubblewrapPrincess

Long Standing Forum Member

• Moderators(moderator)
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

I recently found out about a young lady who killed herself because of years bullying and harassment. She had dyslexia, and bullying based around this, and her low grades, seems to be what finally caused her to take her own life (though there is a much bigger story that led to her death).  

I was bullied in school on and off for most of my education. It affected me so much at one point I did think about killing myself, which is a scary thing to be typing now. Part of the problem was every time I was bullied it added to a pile of all the other abuse and self esteem issues I had experienced before, like a weight pushing down on me, getting heavier and heavier, and never lighter. Every new experience of unnecessary adversity opened up old wounds, and angers. Why did I have to work so hard? Why was I always being targeted? After a while you start to wonder if you're the problem, or what the point is in fighting all the time, gaining ground only to face the same set backs a short while later. 

I was lucky, I had a lot of support, and I got through those things. It's hard for me to imagine feeling that way again. But I know there will be lots of other young people who are struggling with bulling right now, and many members here will have been bullied in the past. Yet, we don't talk about this much, I suppose because it is still painful for many people.

so, I want to talk about bullying, and how to deal with it, to help anyone struggling with it now who might read this, and for people who haven't fully dealt with the affects of it. I'm not just talking about urging people to talk to someone they trust, though I do urge this also, but how to deal with the emotional side, and those effects that can linger even when the bulling has stopped. 

I think I have a lot to say on this that would help, but I would like to hear from other people first, about how they have over come bullying, and negative emotions. 

#2 Rod Duncan

Rod Duncan

Long Standing Forum Member

• Forum Developers
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Writing, Movies, Politics (with a small 'p'), Baha'i, Blogging, Poetry. People. The workings of the mind. Dyslexia (of course)

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

My experiences were similar to the ones you describe, Bubble. I feel VERY strongly about this. Thanks for raising the issue.

Rod's Gas-Lit Empire can be explored at : www.gaslitempire.co.uk

#3 rosieposie2

rosieposie2

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

I experienced a lot what you did bubblewrap too really affected my confidence/self esteem

#4 Chasf

Chasf

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

I have had very similar experiences

But this is not only an issue at school and in education system. From time to time self esteem gets quite a bashing in the work place . 

#5 JohnQ

JohnQ

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

Great topic!

There is an interesting interview on the Friends of Quinn website with the author of a book on bullying. It's been divided into three sections:

part one,

part two, and

part three

She has what seems to me to be some pretty good advice for parents.

#6 Chasf

Chasf

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

Good interview and Interesting Website

#7 Shakespeare

Shakespeare

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:07 PM

Yes bullyng is very interesting it happens all over the place in quite hidden ways.
I didn't think I had been bullied that much at school, its only now that I look back at it that I can start to see it. When I went to school in Papua New Guinea for a while and had to sit on the floor because of my reading and writing every one else sat at tables and chairs, not something I thought about at the time but now I see it all over the place.

#8 Oleander

Oleander

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:59 AM

in my parental views to the LA recently I write about my son's daily struggles with being bullied, name called, teased and physically attacked.

today, he told me his classmate pushed him to the ground, this boy and a group of boys from year 6 were all standing and laughing at him whilst he was on the floor (during lunch time break). i will be writing a letter to the teacher tomorrow as now am documenting it all.

clinical psychologist is going to observe him in the classroom and in the playground as she suspects he has aspergers syndrome, he was recently diagnosed with severe dyspraxia. we have known for a couple of years he is severely dyslexic. now he has a speech and language assessment to do.

my son knows he is about to receive a statement (draft) and that he won't be staying in present school for much longer.

it is shocking, truly disgusting what is happening at this 'outstanding' school in middle class suburbia land.....

#9 Oleander

Oleander

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:01 AM

he is in year 4....and one of the sweetest children you could come across.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users